Euclid Avenue Streetscape
St. Louis, Missouri
Christner completed a development package for streetscape improvements for Euclid Avenue between Lindell and Forest Park Avenue in the Central West End. Improvements include new roadway, sidewalks, curbs, street lights, passive storm water management, trees and public art. Christner’s recommendations built on the previously established Design Principles for this redevelopment area:
- Improve accessibility for all.
- Balance historic character with contemporary street elements.
- Create continuity along Euclid and highlight uniqueness & diversity.
- Create neighborhood crossroads.
- Integrate storm water conservation into complete “living” street.
- Encourage economic growth in a full service neighborhood.
- Develop a safe and secure environment for everyone.
- Include public art to enrich the cultural identity of this place.
An important part of the streetscape is the integration of sustainable features. Christner’s plan for eight rain gardens that clean and store rain water are key sustainable elements. Others include the use of native plant materials, local stone and energy efficient lighting.